Data Linkage Unit
Charges usually apply for linkage, geocoding or extraction requests that fall outside core activities. Each data linkage unit within the PHRN has its own independent fee structure. Funds derived from these charges assist in supporting staff and equipment used for the on-going development of the linkage system.
The cost of linkage varies for each project. The fee is based on a number of factors, commonly including:
- the number of datasets from which information is requested;
- number of years;
- number of individuals in the study; and
- Whether the study involves linking a dataset that has not previously been linked.
A quote for linkage will usually be provided with feedback to a draft application, however if you would like a quote for a grant or to scope your project, please contact the Client Services Officer of the Data Linkage Unit(s) which covers the jursidiction(s) that your data will come from.
Data Custodians and providers of data for Data Linkage Projects are able to seek a fee or reimbursement of their costs incurred in supplying the data required for Linkage Projects.
Under current funding arrangements, there is no charge for this service to PHRN partners and their stakeholders.
Charges for using SURE were introduced on 1 January 2013. The fees support the operational costs of maintaining SURE and providing support services to users. Estimates of SURE access charges are calculated based on project duration, user numbers and computing resources required by users for the project. Fees indicated are exclusive of GST.
If you are preparing a grant application for a project, please send a short email to SURE with the project title, number of investigators on the research team, the expected commencement date and the expected duration of the project. The SURE Team will be happy to provide an estimate of access charges, even if your study is only in the early stages of planning. However, please note that estimates of access charges may be subject to change depending on project commencement date and finalisation of project set-up requirements.
The following pricing principles apply to accessing the PHRN Infrastructure:
- Data users will not be charged for funded services as set out in the PHRN NCRIS or PHRN EIF-SSI Project Plans.
- Costs not covered by the PHRN NCRIS or PHRN EIF-SSI Project Plans may be recovered by charging a fee for PHRN data linkage and related services.
- The pricing structure for PHRN data linkage and related services will be:
- well-defined, readily available and published for the purpose of both users and research funding agencies;
- transparently based on the cost of data linkage and related services reportable by both operators and users of the PHRN; and
- reviewed and set periodically by the PHRN Access Committee after due consideration of the costs of provision of data linkage and related services to users, and after consultation with relevant stakeholders, including data custodians and operators of PHRN Participants.
- Additional fees may be charged by data custodians to offset costs.
Different access and pricing regimes may apply for defined classes of users.