The Population Health Research Network is an Australian Government initiative established as part of the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS).
In addition to the key funding from the Australian Government, additional financial and in-kind support has come from every state and territory in Australia either via state governments, universities or research institutes.
The PHRN is a network of collaborators working together to further develop Australia's data linkage capabilities. This collaboration is a significant accomplishment that has the potential to enhance Australia's standing as a global data linkage leader.
The University of Western Australia is the Lead Agent and has entered into contracts with the Project Participants to develop a data linkage infrastructure for Australia which includes:
- A network of regional data linkage units which service each State and Territory;
- Two national data linkage units which can perform State-State; Commonwealth-Commonwealth and State-Commonwealth linkages of large data collections;
- A secure remote access laboratory;
- A secure file transfer system;
- A national coordinating office.
Following is a list of PHRN Project Participants and operating Data Linkage Units.
PHRN Main Funder
- The Australian Government Department of Education
PHRN Funding Agreement Lead Agent
- University of Western Australia
PHRN Project Participants
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Curtin University
- NSW Ministry of Health
- The Department of Health, Victoria
- The Department of Health, Western Australia (2009-2015)
- The Sax Institute
- The Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services
- Telethon Kids Institute
- The University of Queensland
- The University of South Australia
PHRN Data Linkage Units
- The Data Integration Services Centre (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare)
- Centre for Data Linkage (Curtin University)
- Centre for Health Record Linkage (NSW Ministry of Health)
- Data Linkage Branch, Department of Health, Western Australia
- Queensland Research Linkage Group (Queensland Health)
- SA-NT DataLink (University of South Australia)
- Tasmanian Data Linkages Unit (University of Tasmania)
- Victorian Data Linkages (Department of Health, Victoria)